Monday, November 9, 2020

Kung Pao Chicken Meatballs

Thanks to my sis for sending this recipe to me!  You can sub ground turkey for the chicken if you like.  I also made mine a bit milder using less chile paste than the original recipe.   

The first time I made these, I waaaay overcooked them because I went by color rather than a thermometer.  Do yourself a huge favor -- use a thermometer!  



Meatballs

1 lb. ground chicken

1/3 c. onion, finely diced

1 egg

1/4 white whole wheat flour (I used regular whole wheat flour I had on hand.  You can also sub all purpose flour)

1/3 c. rolled oats  ( I think next time, I would grind these up a bit before hand)

1 T. sriracha

1/4 t. sea salt

1/4 t. pepper

2 t. minced garlic


Kung Pao Sauce

1/4 c. soy sauce

2 T. sriracha

2 T. red chili paste (I used 1 T. garlic chili sauce)

2 T. honey


Combine all the meatball ingredients.  Roll in balls a bit smaller than a golf ball to make about 20 meatballs.  (Do this with wet hands to avoid sticking)

Place the balls on the baking sheet.  Bake on a baking sheet sprayed with oil at 400 for about 25 minutes or until the tops start to brown.  I strongly recommend using a meat thermometer and check the temp at about 22 minutes.  Cook them to 165 degrees.

While the meatballs are baking, combine the sauce ingredients.  When the meatballs are done, toss them in the sauce.

Serve with rice.

--------------------------------

c = cup

T = tablespoon

t = teaspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment