Friday, January 7, 2022

Friends Salad

 So, I read a story recently that the gals from the cast of Friends ate the same salad every day for 10 years. Do I really believe that?  No.  Was I intrigued to try it?  Yes.  I mean, they were all super healthy looking, so maybe they knew something?   Update:  I saw a follow-up article on this recently and it turns out Jennifer Aniston has never had this salad.  It was a viral tiktok!  Oh well. 

Turns out this is a pretty good lunch and really low in calories, which I kinda suspected would be the case.  I've made it a few times now and it is quite filling.  This recipe makes four really big servings.  I've gone heavier on the fresh herbs than the original recipe called for for flavor max.

This keeps for up to a week in the fridge.



Friends Salad

1 c. bulgur (Note: I only had 1/2 c. left in a bag once and I actually preferred it a bit less bulgur-y)

2 cucumbers, diced

1/4 c. red onion, finely diced

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1/2 c. crumbled feta

1/2 c. pistachios

2-3 T. fresh parsley, chopped

2-3 T. fresh mint, chopped

Although the recipe doesn't call for it, I usually add chopped tomatoes as well.


Cook the bulgur according to the package.  Mine was to add 1 c. bulgur to 2 c. water, bring to a boil and cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Then fluff with a fork.  Let it cool completely.

Combine all of the ingredients and enjoy.

Variation:  I swapped out the chickpeas for shelled edamame and added thinly sliced leftover beef tenderloin.  Delish!

Variation Version
Variation Version


--------------------------------

c = cup

T = tablespoon

No comments:

Post a Comment