Saturday, November 21, 2015

Applesauce

Been doing some apple picking and need to use some apples?  Our neighbor Jody makes an awesome apple sauce and I asked her for the recipe.  Turns out there really isn't one!  This is super healthy and oh-so-delicious.  I just went to a local grocery store that sells bruised and older apples by the box for the low, low price of $2.39.  The box had about 25-28 apples or so.  All different kinds, jonagold, golden delicious, gala, granny smith.   This batch made about 3 quarts.  One went in the fridge for immediate eating and the other two went into the freezer for another time.

Jody uses a food mill after the apples are cooked.  I didn't have good luck with the hand me down food mill I just acquired.  The first couple of turns produced mostly juice and wasn't the consistency I was looking for.  So, I used a potato masher and an immersion blender.  Definitely my preferred method!




Applesauce

Peel the apples, core them and cut them into chunks.

Put the apples in a pot with enough water so they don't burn on the bottom.  Maybe 1/2 - 1 cup or so.  Don't use too much or it will be too runny.  The apples will produce some liquid on their own.

Simmer the apples until they are soft.

Remove from heat and mash the apples.  Finish it off by blending with the immersion blender until you have the desired consistency.

Add some cinnamon if you are looking for a bit of extra flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment