Sunday, August 28, 2022

Mayonnaise

 I've been wanting to try to make my own mayonnaise for a while.  With BLT season in full swing, now was the time.  My first attempt was a complete and utter failure using the recommended large bowl or blender suggestion in the first recipe I found.  There was no way one yolk could have ever been beaten in either of those--the yolk sat far below the blades!  A bit of YouTubing showed me the way.  The trick is to use an immersion blender and a jar just barely larger than your immersion blender (or the vessel that the immersion blender came with--perfect!).  I also like the whole egg version over the yolk only one.  It literally takes less than 2 minutes to make this.

Should probably use pasteurized eggs if you can find them.  Or cross-your-fingers-and-hope-not-to-die, like I did.




Mayonnaise

1 whole egg, room temperature

1 T. lemon juice

1 t. dijon mustard

pinch of salt

1 c. avocado, safflower, or olive oil (not extra virgin) (I tried 3/4 c. regular avocado oil + 1/4 c. avocado oil infused with garlic and it was too garlicky-at first but REALLY mellowed over time, so I wouldn't cut back on it if you are not planning to use it all at once.)


Put the egg, lemon juice, dijon, and salt in the vessel.  Add the oil and let it sit for a minute so that the egg and stuff settle to the bottom while the oil rises to the top.

Submerge the immersion blender and don't turn it on until it is set on the bottom!  Start the immersion blender and keep it at the bottom.  This will whip up the egg part and slowly pull the oil down when it is ready.  It will turn white and turn into mayo as it blends.  Once it is all incorporated, you can lift the blender up a bit to make sure it is all blended well.

No comments:

Post a Comment