Saturday, September 19, 2020

Homemade Butter

 This is not a recipe!  It's a method.  I was curious--could I actually make butter?  Answer: YES!  Super easy.  And I love the salted butter my flight attendant neighbor brings back from Europe.  With this, I can add the saltiness I crave.  You will have buttermilk as a bi-product.  I'm going to try buttermilk chicken this week with that!  

I got about 8 ounces of butter and about a cup of buttermilk out of this recipe.

Homemade Butter

2 c. heavy whipping cream

1 t. kosher flaky sea salt (or other salt of your choice)

A bit of course Salt to taste (Optional for extra saltiness and crunch)

Get your Kitchen Aid stand mixer out and put on the whisk attachment.  Pour the cream in the bowl and start to mix on low.  Increase it to medium after a couple minutes.  Continue whisking until the butter forms a solid and separates from the buttermilk.  This will take probably 10 minutes.  Add the salt toward the end.

Drain off the buttermilk and save for another purpose.

Put the butter in a bowl and press out any remaining buttermilk.  Pour some ice water on top of the butter and press again.  Drain off the liquid.  Repeat 2 more times.

Stir in a bit of course salt if desired and store in a container.






No comments:

Post a Comment