Saturday, May 8, 2021

Grilled Halloumi Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce

When I was working in London a couple years ago, there was a lunch food event every Wednesday where vendors would gather in a courtyard amid some office buildings.  Think of a bunch of food trucks, but set up at booths instead.  I had Souvlaki --halloumi in a pita.  Up to then, I had never heard of this cheese.  It's just not 'a thing' here.  Well, let me tell you, it should be.  Seriously.  

Lunch market

The source of all that goodness

The original inspiration

After two years, I finally found this cheese sitting next to the feta tubs at Mariano's.  Thank you.

I did my best to duplicate this.  Who knows at this point if it is really like what I had back then (and it was only once, since I was only there for 4 weeks), but this is my version and it's fresh and so delish.

Seems strange that you can actually grill cheese and it can hold its shape, but you can with halloumi!  I didn't ask but I'm pretty sure halloumi prefers it that way.

I like to use a soft, thinner pita, slightly warm, so it wraps itself around the filling.  Lately, I've been using 'Atoria's Traditional Pitas'.  But, I'm going to try to make my own one of these days, too.

This recipe makes about 4 servings.


Grilled Halloumi with Tzatziki Sauce

Thinly sliced cooked chicken breast

8 oz. halloumi sliced in abut 3/4-inch sticks

Tomato sliced in thin wedges

Thinly sliced red onion

Arugula (or Rocket, as the Brits call it)

Tzatziki Sauce

5 oz. English cucumber

3/4 c. plain Greek yogurt

1 T. olive oil

1 T. lemon juice

1 clove garlic, grated

1/4 t. salt

1/2 T. chopped dill (I didn't have fresh, so used about 3/4 t. dried)

1/2 T. fresh mint, chopped

For the sauce: grate the cucumber on a box grater with the large hole side.  Put the cucumber in cheesecloth and squeeze out the moisture (this is important!  It will be really watery otherwise.)  Mix all the ingredients together and set aside so the flavors meld.

To grill the halloumi, put a tiny amount of oil in a cast iron skillet just to prevent any sticking not a lot!  Grill it until it is browned, about 2 minutes or so on each side.

Assemble by layering the arugula, cheese, tomato and onion on the pita and then top with generous dollops of Tzatziki sauce.

--------------------------------------

oz = ounce

T = tablespoon

t = teaspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment