Monday, April 7, 2014

Berry Sauce

Here's another recipe I got from 100 Days of Real Food with a slight modification.    I've used it as an add-in to plain greek yogurt, on Whole Wheat Waffles and as an ice cream topping.   I am sure there are lots of other great uses, I just haven't tried them yet.

Speaking of yogurt, I used to buy Yoplait fat free yogurt until I found out that they use food dyes that come mostly from petroleum.  Yuck.  How about using the fruit to color the yogurt?  I know…what a concept.

Tip:  Put this on peanut butter ice cream for a nod to the all american PB&J sandwich.  Super yummy.    You'll thank me.



Berry Sauce

1 c. frozen berries
1 1/2 - 2 T. maple syrup
1/4 c. water

Put all in a saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer for 5-10 minutes until the berries are soft.  Remove from the heat and let it cool a bit.  Use an emersion blender to blend it.

---------------------------------------
Comments:
The original recipe calls for only 3/4 c berries.  I used more so it would be a bit thicker.  Your choice.

c = cup
T = tablespoon

I used the following specific ingredients:
  • Trader Joe's frozen Organic Mixed Berries Blend
  • Trader Joe's Organic Maple Syrup


No comments:

Post a Comment