Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Slow Cooker Refried Beans

I'll admit I was a bit skeptical on this one from 100 Days of Real Food.  I had never used dried beans before, but figured it was time to give it a try even though the ingredients list on the can of Trader Joe's refried beans I had in the cabinet didn't look bad to me.   Making it myself just made me feel better, okay?

I was muy feliz with the results!  Just thinking about it is making my stomach growl.  I think it is time to make it again.  Soon.

Slow Cooker Refried Beans
1 onion, peeled and halved
2 c. dry pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 c. jalapeños chopped and seeded
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
Big pinch of cumin, or more if you prefer
6 cups water

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on high for 8 hours.
Remove the bigger onion chunks and drain excess liquid and save it for later.
Mash the remaining ingredients with a potato masher to the consistency you like.

Add back a little of the saved liquid if it is too dry.  

------------------------------------
Comments:
c = cup
t = teaspoon
I don't like things super hot, but my batch wasn't spicy enough for me. I would leave more of the white ribs on the jalapeños and add some cayenne pepper next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment