Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Shrimp 'Pad Thai'

This dish is a total fraud.   In a good way.   It is so much healthier than real pad thai since it fools you with broccoli slaw instead of using noodles.  For something this tasty, I'll gladly look the other way.

The first time I made this, the hubby could NOT get enough of this.  It received an A+ grade.   (In all honesty, my shrimp-averse daughter did not give this an A+ grade.  She prefers the Pan Asian Noodles and said this was too peanut buttery.  Ummmm….no.)  You could substitute chicken for those in her court.



Shrimp 'Pad Thai'
1/2 - 1 lb. shrimp
2 T. coconut oil
1 T. minced garlic
1/4 c coconut milk
Juice of 2 limes
12 oz. bag of broccoli slaw
2-3 T. soy sauce
2-3 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. peanut butter (I've also subbed PB2 powder, like 4-5 T. cuz I like PB flavor!)
Chopped cilantro and green onion for garnish

In a wok or large pan, cook shrimp in the coconut oil with a splash of coconut milk.

Add the soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar and garlic.

Add the slaw and coconut milk and cook it until it is soft but still a bit crunchy.

Stir in the peanut butter.

Garnish with cilantro and green onion.

Add a dash of siracha chili sauce for a kick.

--------------------------
Comments:
c = cup
T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon

  • This recipe was inspired by Clean Eating magazine.  It called for light coconut milk but I couldn't find that at Trader Joe's so I went all out with the regular coconut milk.  I know….life on the edge.
  • I used Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and an all-natural peanut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment