Sunday, April 6, 2014

Whole Wheat Bread -- Bread Machine

This is the first thing I made to begin my food transformation.  I got the recipe off of the 100 Days Of Real Food website after seeing a link to it on Facebook.    It was about the same time I saw an article about all the store bought breads (and breads used in fast food chains) that contain Azodicardbonamide (ADA).    Hard to spell.  Hard to say.  This ingredient is also used to make foamed plastics.   Turns out it is banned in Europe for food products AND for food containers.   Hmmmmm…….  Ever looked at the ingredients list for a loaf of store bought bread?  Get your reading glasses out.  It's long and the print is tiny.    You really only need about 5 ingredients.

Sure, I love a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on squishy white bread as much as the next guy.  But it's not my daily bread anymore.  

My daughter Alison really likes this bread.  She prefers it over the store bought ADA-free breads we have tried and says it goes especially well with her salami and cheese sandwiches she packs for her lunch.  I know….salami…..baby steps.  That's a story for another day.  I'm no fanatic--just making a changes where we can!

This is a dense bread (but not dry) so I ended up buying an electric bread knife for easy slicing.  Check the capacity of your bread machine, too.  Some machines only work with a max of 3 cups flour.  If that describes your machine, get your calculator out to reduce the amounts.  Or do them in your head and make your math teacher proud.  Or get your credit card out and order a bigger machine.


Bread Machine Whole Wheat Bread

4 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c. honey
2 T. Olive Oil
1 packet or 2 1/4 t. active dry yeast

Follow the directions on your bread machine for ordering of ingredients and baking

----------------------------------------------
Comments:

  • I ended up weighing the flour on my food scale instead of using measuring cups all of the time.   I use 1 pound 5 3/8 ounces for each batch
  • c = cups
  • t = teaspoon
  • T = Tablespoon


Here are some of the specific ingredients I used:

  • King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
  • Trader Joe's Organic Honey
  • Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Walnut Flavored Olive Oil








No comments:

Post a Comment