Sunday, April 13, 2014

Greens Caprese Style

Caprese Salad.  So simple but so good.   The italians know what they are doing.  Tomato. Fresh Mozzarella.  Basil.  Drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt, if you prefer.    Easy as that.    It also happens to have the same bright colors as the Italian Flag.  Coincidence?

Here is a variation I threw together to mimic those fab flavors.  You decide the amounts based on how many will be at your table.

Undressed

Dressed and Ready!

Greens Caprese Style

Mixed greens of your choice (adding some torn basil leaves would be great if you have them)
Diced fresh mozzarella 
Diced tomato 

Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.   Use the best oil and vinegar you have!

Salt and pepper to taste.    

----------------------------------
Comments:

  • I used an organic 50/50 blend of mixed greens and spinach in the above pic
  • I used organic grape tomatoes in this one but vine-ripe tomatoes would be awesome
  • Instead of salt and pepper, I love a blend called Seasonello.  It is made by Caber in Italy but I am lucky enough to have a couple of places locally that carry it.  It is sea salt, rosemary, garlic, sage and pepper.  
  • If I don't use that, I go with fresh ground pepper and coarse sea salt.  



No comments:

Post a Comment